Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Flu Shots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Flu Shots Reply with quote

'Tis the season: "Get a shot or not?", is the question. Ck this out.:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/96800.html
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Choice of shots Reply with quote

Cathy recently gave me a choice of flu shots. There is a more powerful one. I chose the stronger shot and it didn't bother me a bit.

By the way, rumor has it that the clinic on the island is closing soon.
Poppa Boot Hands
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice, Mike...you should also be up to date on your pneumonia, shingles, and tetanus booster!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: shots Reply with quote

A lot of people now days, who have never had the flu, call a bad cold the flu. They have never had real flu.

When I was a strong healthy 19 year old I got the flu, and I do mean influenza. I hurt so bad that I could hardly move. I remember crawling to the bathroom from my bed. I was taken to the doctor in Cheboygan and diagnosed with influenza and told to go back home and deal with it. In the meantime Waive Westcott came down with it because I had been to the Westcott house just prior to getting the disease myself. she, being older, was hauled off the island in an ambulance to the hospital. She came close to dying from the influenza I had given her.

So now you know why I get the "flu" shot and ignore the PROPOGANDA against getting it.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it myself and so did Ben as we both have asthma.

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We both got ours. We have been doing this for years now. May get my pneumonia shot this Monday.

The things we have-should do........................
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your shingles shot too, just ask Mike!

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Shingles Shot Reply with quote

Yes I had shingles really bad on the left side of my head. It was in and around my eye, up through my eyebrow, on my forehead, and back on top of my head. It damaged the nerves bad enough, that I still have itching and pain a year and a half after the active shingles was gone. My vision was blurred permanently in the affected eye.

A study was done that showed that a group aged 50-59 if they got the shingles shot, would reduce their chance of getting it by 70%.

This prompted the FDA this summer of 2011, to approve the use of the shingles shot [Zostavax] for those 50 to 59 years of age. It was originally approved in 2006 for people 60 and older.

Your insurance may not cover it. It may be expensive. Check with your local health departments to see if you can get it there for less money.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Flu shots Reply with quote

Congrats on getting the shots. Thank goodness we have the freedom to get them or not.

For many people, they get the shot because of the national governmental campaign promoting the vaccine. Which is not a good reason in itself for getting vaccinated.

I have never taken one and will not. I have had the "real" flu twice...just like Mike described.

My flu bouts lasted 2-3 days of grueling sickness.

I figure the mercury and formaldehyde in the shot is a much greater long term threat to my health than the flu symptoms. And seeing how flu shots are only 59% effective, why take the chance of injecting carcinogenic elements into my body?

Mike, you mentioned "propaganda" against the shots. In my opinion, there is a much greater "propaganda" for taking the shots. Look at the signs at every Walgreens drug store or other drug stores that you drive by. Do you think it has anything to do with big pharma upping their bottom line by selling millions of doses of the vaccine?

Just food for thought.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on this site today enjoying the updated news and looking for the news I have missed and glad I have been looking around as I found out that they offer the shingle shot to the younger generation now .... Thanks to Mike W he got us updated on that, thanks Mike ..... I will now start preaching to that age group ......

I have no Idea what is in that shot that may not be good for me but after seeing a few others with the shingles then seeing my cousin with shingles on his face, that took any fear away that I may have had to get that shot as I have never had a Flu shot ever and said I would never get a Flu shot however this winter I have been rethinking that as I am getting older .. but I have to admit I did not get the flu shot after all and I am still not sure about it .. I guess its a little crazy that I got a shingle shot but not the flu shot ??
punystream
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been advised to get a flu shot a couple of times. I have not dared to have one since I am generally healthy who is barely having flu.
merrywhisker
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we usually get our shot every year and eversince i got that flu shot, i never worry about the flu
pulledollie
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my family have our flu shots annually.
punystream
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, it would be advisable to get a flu shot. That will make us safe. Remember that "Prevention is better than a cure"
pulledollie
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flu vaccination also may make your illness milder if you do get sick and getting vaccinated yourself also protects people around you, including those who are more vulnerable to serious flu illness.
punystream
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pulledollie wrote:
Flu vaccination also may make your illness milder if you do get sick and getting vaccinated yourself also protects people around you, including those who are more vulnerable to serious flu illness.

Absolutely! We need it these days. Just like I've said a flu shot can be a prevention to any serious flu illness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: